Jun 8, 2012

Fruit of the Month - Rhubarb



Naomi Unger writes:  This recipe from my files is in the handwriting of a school child. I remember my sister instructing her son, years ago, to copy it out for me after I complimented her for her very tasty meal. 



Rhubarb Dessert 
Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup shortening
2 T sugar
pinch of salt
Mix like pastry and pat into 9"x 9" or 9"x13" pan.  (Using the smaller pan will give you a thicker square.) Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes.

Filling:
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cream
2 T flour
2  1/4 cups diced rhubarb
Heat in saucepan until warm. Beat 3 egg yolks, add to mixture and cook until thick. 
Spread over the baked crust. 

Meringue:
3 egg whites
Beat egg whites until stiff, slowly adding 5 T sugar and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar. 
Spread over the filling.
Bake at 400ºF until lightly browned.

Note from Liz:  I used a 10" glass pie plate and 3 cups of rhubarb and increased flour to 3 T.  I also did not have cream on hand so used 1/3 cup milk and 1 T margarine.  It turned out great, but was very sweet.  Next time I will only use 1 cup of sugar and there definitely will be a next time.   Thanks for the recipe, Naomi!






1 comment:

  1. Yum! I can almost taste it.
    Will absolutely give this recipe a try and soon!!!

    ReplyDelete