Feb 7, 2012

Assitance Recipient - Lydia Cruttwell


Greetings!

As a woman who has benefited from the bursary given to me by Mennonite Women Canada, I just wanted to send you a quick update about what I've been up to this term. In this, my second-last term at Regent College, I'm taking three course (Hermeneutics and Criticism, Systematic Theology C, and Pastoral Care) and, as usual, enjoying the rich array of theological reflections, personal growth, and communal study and worship that this community has to offer. As a former Literature Major in my undergraduate degree, I've especially been enjoying Hermeneutics, since it's given me tools with which to analyze, appreciate, and critique the various methods for reading the bible and interpreting it for today's contexts (we've looked at form and source criticism, social scientific criticism, narrative criticism, and feminist criticism, to name just a few). I feel better prepared both to read and understand the Bible for myself, as well as teach and preach it to others.

I've also had the chance to preach in my home church (First United Mennonite) a couple of times this term -- always a joy, both as a way of giving back to a community that has given so much to me, and as a chance to focus deeply on God's word and do some practical application of my studies to one aspect of a pastor's duties. I've also been blessed by meeting various times with Pastor Ingrid Schultz as I continue to learn about pastoral care and ask questions about the practicalities of pre-marital counselling, grief counselling, weddings, funerals, and visitations. It's been a rich and rewarding learning experience.

It's the last three weeks of term here at Regent, so I'm feeling a little tired. However, I shall continue working on my final papers and assignments, knowing both that God will meet me in the midst of them, and that the Christmas break will seem all the sweeter after my hard labours of this term!

Please feel free to ask me if you've got any other questions -- and thank you again for your generous gift, which allowed me to focus on these studies without having to worry about my financial situation!

Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment