Jan 4, 2013

SGAF Recipient - Annika Krause

Annika is one of the recipients of our Spiritual Growth Assistance Fund which provides scholarships to successful applicants.  Our other 2012 recipients are Deborah-Ruth Ferber and Alicia Good.  Annika also receives some financial support from MCBC Women's Ministry and earlier this fall, took the time to write to us with an update of her activities.

Hello Everyone at BC Women in Ministry and Mennonite Women Canada!

             I want to thank all of you for the support you have given me for this school year. It has been truly a blessing and I appreciate it very much. I used the financial support (from BC Women's Ministry) you generously gave me to pay for this semester’s rent. I live on campus at AMBS with a roommate.

            My classes are going well. I am taking four classes and a colloquium this Christian Formation, Performing the Faith and Peace Colloquium. Reading the Bible is an overview of the entire Bible (including the Apocrypha). In that class we are learning about the history of the Bible, how certain books were canonized and others not, as well as where Bible stories took place and the governments that had influence. Christian Theology I is about how the Bible has been interpreted in history and is continuing to be interpreted today. Human Development and Christian Formation is focused on how the different age groups and genders are represented in the church and how they should be represented in the church. We were put into pairs and each pair had to do a presentation on an age group. My partner and I got elderhood and learned a lot about how to help people in dependent living situations feel like they are participating in a service. Performing the Faith is about bringing fine arts into the church. We each have to do a “performance” by the end of the semester. I am doing a photography portfolio, since this is a hobby of mine and something I would like to see used more in the church. Finally, Peace Colloquium is a 1 credit class and we meet during lunch break on Tuesdays to hear guest lecturers speak about local and global issues. We are also expected to do research outside of class on related topics of our own choosing. I have chosen ethical farming and youth violence.

            Outside of class, there are a lot of community events. AMBS works hard to ensure that the students and faculty are in community with each other and have opportunities to interact outside of the classroom. We have a potluck dinner weekly as well as other events that run during the semester. One such event took place this past week, Race and Media Circles. Students and staff were encouraged to sign up to watch a movie (or a few movies) that deals with the issue of prejudice and culture. Each movie was hosted by a different person and was a different mix of people. I signed up for 3/5 movies…I really like watching and discussing movies.

            I also run cooking classes out of my apartment. This is not an event that is advertised by the school, but has been spread by word of mouth. It is a way for students who enjoy cooking to get together and prepare a meal. The idea is that once a month a different teacher comes in and teaches his or her specialty. So far we have been asking AMBS faculty as a way to better connect with them. The idea, suggested by a friend of mine, did not come into fruition until half way through the semester, so we have only had two classes so far, one from a vegan activist in October, and another on Indian cooking (with shoofly pie for dessert, which I had never made before) in November. Come January, a professor who did his graduate work in Scotland and is vegetarian is going to teach us how to make vegetarian haggis…Don’t ask me how that’s going to work.

            Despite the fun I have been having here in Indiana, I am looking forward to being back in BC for Christmas. I miss my friends and family back home. I can feel the love and support emanating from Canada, and I will be glad to spend some time on the West Coast. Thank you all for your generosity and prayers.

Peace and blessings in the name of our living God,

Annika Krause

No comments:

Post a Comment